segunda-feira, 23 de julho de 2018

TSDcast 71 - Bukka Entrevista + Mix


Directamente dos EUA via Espanha para o TSDcast - Bukkha

Take a step to Dub -  Hi Evert! How has 2018 treated so far? 

Bukkha -  2018 has been a busy year.  Did a lot of touring the first quarter of the year, and when i got back home had to catch up on a lot of production work.

TSD - What’s new in the world of Bukkha?

B - A lot of new music coming out on a few new labels that i have been wanting to work with for a while.  

Also got to meet a lot of people that I only knew from the online world.  

TSD - What’s the story behind the name "Bukkha", if any?

B -  I got the name from an American TV show called “Wild Boys.”  The people on the show visited India and spent time with the Agori (a cannibal tribe).  One of the members of the tribe was named Buka, but i thought it would be cool if I spelled it Bukkha because at the time i was reading a lot about The Buddha.

TSD - Taking a step back in time, could you tell us a little bit about your musical journey, from discovering underground music, to learning how to DJ and your interest in building beats?

B - I have been playing guitar and bass since i was 10/11.  I was in a couple of bands, but always wanted to do my own thing.  Was always in Punk/metal and rap.  I grew tired of the lyrics in tunes, it just did not get my attention anymore.  So i started listening to instrumental bands (Mogwai, Explosions In The Sky, The Album Leaf to name a few) and i found that more interesting than what i was listening to.  I never really cared for electronic music, bc i just thought it was too repetitive.  A couple of these instrumental bands were incorporating electronics into their music.  

So somehow that got me searching for more electronic music and discovered Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, and Luke Vibert.  I wanted to be like these guys…  So i started building “hip-hopish” beats, then kind of junglish, just not really limiting myself because i didn’t really know any better so i just did what i wanted to do.  

I got into DJ´ing later as i was trying to figure out how i wanted to play this non-genre specific music i was making.

TSD - Despite you are from US nowadays you live in Spain. How your music and growth as an artist been influenced and affected working from there?

B - I can´t say it´s been influenced, but I feel like I have been making music for myself.

TSD - Being your music so personal and emotive, what does it take you to get into the zone to begin writing? Any special rituals you have or environment you absolutely have to have?

B -  Inspiration  just hits me.  I can´t just go into the studio with no ideas.  If i go into the studio without a purpose for building a tune i usually sample search, spend some time on sound design, or maybe polish up a project i´m working on.  No rituals…  My mind does have to be clear and stress-free though.

TSD - Last year was obviously huge for you, with massive releases in labels such Moonshine, Dub-Stuy, ZamZam. Could you talk us trough your creative process when producing music?


B - My tunes always start with either coming up with the chord progression, melody, or bassline. From there i´ll start to build the drums and spend a good bit of time on that.  i think once you have a melody or chord progression the rest pretty much rights itself.  A few times i´ve been able to to finish tunes in less than an hour.  I have to work fast because I don´t have so much time anymore. 

TSD - People connected with your music pretty much instantly why do you think that was?

B -  People connected with my music???  I could not tell you why.

TSD - Can you give us any cheeky upfront information about what we might be seeing from you for the rest of the year?

B -  A couple of collaboration tunes with my good friends Dubbing Sun, Subtle Mind and The Illuminated, some remixes, more tunes with different vocalists, different styles/bpm´s, different labels, and better sound/quality (i hope).

TSD- How do you feel about social media in all of its influence on the music game now?

B - It´s a double-edged sword.  

TSD - What have you been stumbling across lately? What sounds and artists are on your radar right now?

B - I am really bad about this.  I don´t really know anybody new.  

TSD - Can you take us through the mix you put together for us? 

B - Basically all the favorite tracks at the moment and some new forthcoming bits.

TSD - Before we finish... is there any question that was never been done to you that you would like to answer?

B - This one.

TSD - Thank you for your time brother, all the best for the future. Are there any final comments / shoutouts you wanna share to wrap things up?

B - Big up everyone that has supported me throughout the years.  Special shout out to all the promoters and labels that have reached out and everyone that made touring for me possible.  Thank you for hosting me and giving me a place to crash.  

So much respect and love.  Watch out for all the forthcoming tunes.  Bless!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário