segunda-feira, 29 de julho de 2019

TSDcast 78 - Feonix (Entrevista + Mix)


Directamente de Inglaterra para o #TSDcast - Feonix (LSN)

Take a step to dub - Hi Jimmi, blessed on taking the time for this interview! How has 2019 treated so far and what’s new in the world of Feonix? 

Feonix - Ez man, no worries. 2019 has been interesting so far.. challenging to a degree due to constant technical setbacks. Been taking some time to re-assess things a bit, that said when possible I’ve still been working on music with various projects (LSN, etc.) and building towards a few Feonix releases perhaps towards the end of year. 

TSD - Tell us a little about your jouney in music, with some key moments from your life, as far back as childhood, that you feel have made an impact on your music today? 

F - Guess it kicked off as a part of my life with starting to learn piano when I was quite young, it got a bit more serious when I was about 10 and picked up the guitar. Played in bands n that when I was a teenager, then properly discovered electronic music n production when I was about 18. 

There’s been a fair few moments from there; the first Outlook launch party with Biome in 2012, the formation of LSN, that MUD Getdarker kitchen takeover! I think the time spent with Uprise Audio shaped a lot, through that whole time I think I developed quite a bit as an artist, with a lot of help from everyone I’ve been lucky to work with thus far. 

TSD - What's the most important / valuable lesson you've learned since you started making music? 

F - Patience. Stuff takes time, if I could I’d say ‘don’t speak too soon’. Or if you ain’t feelin that; don’t let yourself get pushed around too much, if you have a vision for something follow through.. By all means, it’s good to reach a compromise when situations are disagreed on, but make sure the compromise isn’t you just letting somebody else have their way. 

TSD - Creating any art form often draw inspiration from life and environment. With the many outlets from which we can seek such inspiration, what inspires you to create the sound that you do? 

F - Honestly I’m not sure. (not to sound like a dick but) It’s more of a compulsion, sometimes I just have to get a beat down n it just sounds the way it does. I guess I try n think about tracks a lot more now in terms of my own experiences; the track making process is a lot less frequent than it was when I was 22 so I suppose I’m trying to put more in to them now.. Not that wasn’t back then, but I’ve got less time now haha I do enjoy reading for a bit of abstract inspiration, been gettin well in to poetry the last few years. (check out John Cooper Clarke)


TSD - You open 2019 with the self release "Frames EP"! More frequently we see artists like your self using Bandcamp for releases as an alternative to going through a tradicional record label. In your opinion why this happend?

F - Can’t speak for everyone but maybe for some it's impatience, but I'm not omniscient, so don't want to say for sure.. I think it’s probably cos it can be simpler. “made an EP, whack it on bandcamp. Boom.”(Just to clarify it doesn't have to be that simple, and can be a great way to create a hub for your music; artist or label).

Bandcamp as a website is sick, for labels as well as artists. It’s straightforward, a direct thing for artists and just for listening. But record labels are still important, it’s an avenue to meeting and workin with like minded artists, get guidance n that, n it’s good for artists to work together like that to build n shape the scene.


TSD - Aside "Frames EP", you mainly release single tracks and work in collaborations for labels such Nomine Sound and Sentry Records. Have the reactions to it been what you expected?

 

F - I’ve been a bit quiet on seeking releases this year tbh, had a lot on the plate with LSN this last year.. but yeh I’m glad that those two tracks you mentioned in particular came out where they did, amongst some sick artists on some labels I respect and personally enjoy the music of. 


TSD - What are you hoping to influence right now with the music you are currently pushing right now? 


F - Not sure if I’m trying to influence anything as such.. Just tryin to do my thing n make music I like, at least, for better or worse. 


TSD - Being a sensitive issue (or false question) for some people. What does the term UK Bass Music mean to you? 


F - As a term it sounds like an umbrella genre under which you could lump bass heavy sub genres originating in the UK. I s’pose. 


TSD - What have you been stumbling across lately? What sounds and artists are on your radar right now? 


F - I’ve been delving a lot in to the new Jazz scene that’s been flowing out of London the last few years to be honest. There’s some really interesting stuff there, a good starting point is the We Out Here compilation on Brownswood, literally everyone on there is worth checking out individually. Extensively. 


On the electronic front I’ve been really enjoying that new Others release on Sentry for one, n rate pretty much everything Gisaza has made. DPRTNDRP smash it every time, as does man like 207 (it is well known). Quite enjoyin the stuff DraeDaSkimask makes too. On the label front I been following Artikal; that Quasar release was fkn deep, 20/20LDN; for obvious reasons, Kikuji Records; they’ve been putting out some interesting leftfield 140 bizness from artists like NoClu & Ploom (so far), lookin forward to hearin where they go. 


TSD - We were quite excited about the mix you put together for us. Tell us a little bit about the selection process, down to the final recording? 


F - So yeh, I don’t necessarily always make or listen to dubstep so I wanted to whack a few extra bits in this mix that should hopefully make sense on the whole. Obviously with it being a TSDcast there’s a lot of 140 in there, mostly dubs & releases from artists & labels I’m following n feel are doing some pretty interesting stuff. Decided to record the mix on 3 decks in one take. 


TSD - Before we finish... can you give us any cheeky upfront information about what we might be seeing from you and LSN for the rest of the year? 


F - There’s a fair bit in the works, as I said earlier we’ve been pretty busy.. got a few releases for sure, can’t say much more just yet but yeh it’s exciting times ahead. 


TSD - Now to finish... if you were stranded on an island and could only keep with you the following things, what would they be? 1 vinyl, 1 DAW, 1 piece of hardware, and 1 sandwich. 


F - 


1 vinyl: Santana ‘Abraxas’ – I’m probably not gna have a turntable so at least I can look at the nice art;

1 DAW: Ableton – presuming I can somehow build a working mac out of resources on the Island, perhaps from falling debris from a nearby plane one day;

1 piece of hardware: My guitar – might as well, maybe the sound could carry across the sea and piss off the crew of a nearby ship enough to come n tell me to stop/get me off the island;

1 sandwich: a fookin massive (like abnormal levels) New York Deli style thing; Pastrami, Cheese, pickles n that, on Rye wot I could just eat a little bit of every day to keep goin til the above situation occurs. 

TSD - Thank you for your time brother, all the best for the future. Are there any final comments / shoutouts you wanna share to wrap things up? 


F - Cheers for getting in touch for the interview, sorry for the tangent with the desert island, bigup to you, you the reader, bigup the LSN family, Stevie the cat, ::Definition Bangor crew, Original Locked Soundsystem mandem, the guys at Education & Bass, Bayfield n Ash at Kikuji/Purple City Soufflé, Uprise Audio family, the lords n ladies of hospitality: Dungeon Beats crew in Poznan, my secret Croatian second family: 207 & the Untied Audio badmen over in Pula, my main man Deafblind, our mate Kyle, and finally my brother Rob n his missus Steph; who just had a baby n that’s pretty damn nice in my opinion.


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário