segunda-feira, 26 de fevereiro de 2018

TSDcast 67 - Turner Entrevista + Mix


É com enorme prazer, que abrimos a temporada 2018 do TSDcast, ao som e palavras de Turner.

Take a step to Dub - Hi Turner, it’s been awhile since we feature your music for the first time back in 2013. How has life changed for you since then?

Turner - We were both fresh faces back then! Thank you again for supporting me since day dot. 

On a personal level it's been drastic, you know how things change so much in your late teens/early twenties. But I've now left Brighton behind and I'm happily living in London with a new job and a fresh outlook. Musically it's been a rollercoaster! It all started with high hopes but then i was hit with many empty promises, so I figured that i'd start my own label because I don't need anyone else... only to get conned on my first release! But everything's running smoothly now and I feel like I'm hitting my stride.

TSD - How do you think your sound has developed since you started?

T - I used to just copy what I heard on Rinse FM, you learn through imitation so it wasn't the worst thing to happen, but I definitely got stuck in one zone for a while. I would be so jealous of anyone who could make a sick reese synth to the point I would spend hours in Massive trying to work it out and get so frustrated to the point I wanted to give up! I used to process everything so intensely that at the end i'd sucked the soul out of the track. After a while my tastes changed and I took a step back and unplugged myself for a while. When I came back after immersing myself in different genres, I felt ready again. This time I barely listened to Dubstep and just created what I wanted. The tracks came out raw & gritty with a mix of UK bass and hip hop elements... and I liked it!

TSD - What's the most important / valuable lesson you've learned since you started making music?

T - If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't get me wrong, good things do happen, but I spent a lot of time waiting around on other people's word that they'd do this or that, book me to play here and release my records there. If someone starts to dick around, just cut them out and move on. Only make time for people who are serious!

TSD - Creating any art form often draws inspiration from life and environment. With the many outlets from which we can seek such inspiration, what inspires you to create the sound that you do? 

T - I worked for a promo company for a couple of years doing multi genre sets in clubs and that definitely helped. Just because a music is mainstream it doesn't mean you should shut it out, listening to all types of music definitely helps. Drawing influence from a pop track doesn't mean your track will be pop, there could be a cool structure, drum pattern, or FX sound which can inspire you in Dubstep. Eastern sounds and music will continue to inspire me too, it's always had its influence in the UK bass scene and now it's in pop culture too.

TSD - You’ve just announced your forthcoming extended play "Section" on your imprint Cella Records. What can we expect to hear?

T - The Section EP sums up where I'm at with Dubstep now. It contains raw drums, deep sub, energy and Eastern & Hip Hop influences. 


TSD - Could you give us an idea of where you were trying to take this piece of music from a technical viewpoint as well as its listener emotionally?

T - I wanted to take it a little more back to basics. Section is about as stripped back as I can make it, focusing on the bare minimum - beats & bass. The EP draws on emotion too, I hope that the melodies in Forever might tug on the heart strings a little. Whereas Funk is just a bit of fun, uplifting and bouncy. All the chord stabs, melodies and pianos are Midi and not sampled, I think this really helped bring the EP to life too.

TSD - How do you feel about social media in all of its influence on the music game now?

T - It's definitely what separates this generation of Dubstep from the OG's. Personally I like it though, it really brings the community aspect together in this scene. It's just a genre at the end of the day and we need social media to help it grow and expand. 

TSD - Like we mentioned before, aside your music, you also run Cella Records. Can you remember what your intentions / goals when you first launched the label?

T - Yeah, I just wanted an output for my music. There weren't many offers flying around and I wanted to hear a label that was putting out the sound that I personally loved. That's why I was so happy with the Victorious release with Ill Chill. It perfectly encapsulated a particular sound I couldn't find anywhere else.

TSD - A couple of months ago, you gave away many records from the Cella back catalogue for free on social media, what inspired this?

T - I was in the process of moving and realised I still had a little bunch of records left over from 001 & 002. Because I did the distribution from my home, it's where I also stored them. I was thinking about options, where I could keep them and how much the storage would cost, when it hit me. I'd rather have the records out in people's homes, being played and loved, than have them rotting away in a room somewhere! It was amazing to see the response, and I shipped the 100 records out to all around the world (I still have a few left to do!). I don't regret it in the slightest, giving back to the folks who have always been there.

TSD - Can you give us any cheeky upfront information about what we might be seeing from you or the label in 2018?

T - I'm going to continue down the avenue in which I've set up with 002 & 003. Stripped back Dubstep and music which blurs the line between Bass music, Grime & Hip Hop. I've got some great projects with some MC's which I simply cannot wait to share!

TSD - Being a sensitive issue (or false question) for some people. What does the term UK Bass Music mean to you?

T - It's a tricky one for sure. I feel that the UK is the forefront for experimental music and as long as people continue to push boundaries, I don't mind what they call it! It's such a broad term and it usually makes me think of techno to be honest, but as long as a producer has put their soul into their music, and it sounds good when it's turned up, it falls under UK Bass for me. 

TSD - We are quite excited about the mix you put together for us. Tell us a little bit about the selection process, down to the final recording?

T - I wanted to include some dubs which I've acquired over the last few months, along with some new ones of mine and some old classics which were release on Hatched a few years ago. There's a fantastic Lost track which I have been pestering him about for years! Some fantastic Saule material, I'm a big fan of his work. A brilliant piece by Fill Spectre, and my classic twist of current 140 Hip Hop which is thrown in there too (Metro Boomin is definitely my favourite producer outside of the scene). This mix is digital, It's not often I do a digital Dubstep mix as i'm usually a vinyl purist, but it allowed me to include some amazing tracks which I usually wouldn't have been able to include, it gave me great freedom!

TSD - Before we close... is there any question that has never been put forward to you that you would like to answer?

T - Nothing comes to mind at the moment, i think we're all good!

TSD - Thank you for your time brother, all the best with the forthcoming record. Are there any final comments / shout outs you wanna share to wrap things up?

T - You're welcome! Yeah, just big up to all my supporters on my page man. They've been with me since the start and are the most supportive bunch of people I've ever met. And oh yeah, stop asking me about the Filth bootleg, it will never come out!

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário